Toronto is filled with talented creatives but we wanted to bring your attention to this talented artist and her beautiful unique voice that turned us into fans instantly!
Spice in the 6ix aims to showcase creatives from the GTA whose talent we think gets over looked or does not get enough shine as they should. This week’s creator, Tara Lord, has been selected as one of our Top 6 Hidden Spices. This is an opportunity for our audience to become better acquainted with her through our brief Q&A interview.
1. What’s your background and which part of Toronto did you grow up? My dad is Bajan and my moms Costa Rican. I was born in Scarborough, but in my teenage years moved to Durham.
2. How long have you been rapping and who inspired you to start making music? I’ve been rapping since 3 years old, from a super young age Ive had a passion for music and wanting to become an artist. My dad is an OG in Toronto Hiphop, Top Secret. When I was a baby he had a music studio. I grew up surrounded by music and watching him writing raps. He began teaching me the lyrics of old school classics and training me in Hiphop. He inspired me to create music of my own and begin pursuing music professionally.
3. As a female artist in the Toronto music scene, how hard would you say it is for a female to succeed in Toronto and what advise do you have for the up and coming female artists?
I definitely felt like I had to work extra hard to prove myself especially being in the Hiphop Industry which is male dominated. When it comes to doing business as a woman in this industry its easy to be belittled and disrespected as well. If I were to give any advice to upcoming women in this industry. I would tell them to respect themselves, move confidently and to be cautious about who they keep in their circle.
4. Where would you like to see yourself and your music in the next 5 years?
In the next 5 years I see myself successful and doing music as my full time career. Living comfortably, somewhere warm and being able to support myself and family by doing what I love. I see my music breaking boundaries in the industry and my fanbase continuing to grow larger. I definitely would like to tap into production, directing and acting as well, in the next 5 years.
5. Where can fans go to connect with you and check out your music? My instagram and TikTok handles are both @OfficialTaraLord. My music is available on all streaming platforms, just search “Tara Lord” and you will find me!
6. Is there any new spice that you’re working on right now that you’ll like to share exclusively on Spice In The 6ix Media? Right now, I am currently working on an EP which I hope to release later this year. I am excited to finally be releasing a body of work and to show the world my growth as an artist.